There is a lot to consider when planning your wedding day.

Marriage, according to Australian law, is the union of a man and a woman, to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life. (Marriage Act 1961).

​​Under the Marriage Act 1961, the following legal aspects MUST BE satisfied:-
  • Both parties must be over 18 years of age and must be single at the time of marrying;
  • A completed Notice of Intended Marriage form must be given to your celebrant at least one month before the wedding. You can give it to your celebrant up to eighteen months beforehand;
  • Both parties are required to provide a Birth Certificate or Current Passport (Australian or Overseas) before the wedding;
  • If either party has been married previously or widowed, a Divorce Certificate or Death Certificate must be produced;
  • Two people over 18 years of age will be required to act as witnesses at the wedding;
  • Prior to the wedding, both parties will be required to sign a declaration under the Marriage Act 1961 stating there is no legal impediment to the marriage. This is a legal document and as such penalties can be imposed on anyone who makes a false statement. 
​​You don't have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry here. You can find marriage visa information on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website, if you hope to live in Australia after your marriage.

After you are married
On the day of your wedding, you will sign three marriage certificates. Each certificate should be signed by you, your celebrant and two witnesses. Your celebrant will give you one of the certificates as a record of your marriage.
Your celebrant must register your marriage with the registry of births, deaths and marriages in the state or territory it took place within fourteen days.
The certificate issued by the registry of births, deaths and marriages is required for many official purposes. You should apply for a copy of this certificate from the registry after your wedding.

Making a complaint about a Commonwealth-registered Marriage Celebrant
Speak to your celebrant early if you have concerns. If you can't resolve the issue you can find more information on the Complaint about a Marriage Celebrant page located at: